Mar 14, 2012

Renee's Niederwald Review

Niederwald

This was the first of the stories that I read from Sabine's point of view, and I have to say, I was nicely surprised. It's certainly not like I see her floating in ethereal light now – she'd probably punch me if I said that – but I understand a little more about her as a person. She's definitely a highly terrifying fellow, but deep, deep down she still has a heart. She handled Syrie with kindness, even feeling a bit of remorse for using her, and stayed to save Emma when she could have easily left with what she came for. But she didn't, because no matter what anyone else thinks about her, this Nightmare doesn't want to be a monster. Sabine is tough as nails, but she's not impenetrable. She's lost the only one she ever loved, sees him every day being picked apart by someone who could never care for him as much as she did, and she will stop at nothing to bring him back.

On a side note, her little road trip buddy, Emma, has shown surprising strength as well. She's been shoved in head first into a world she didn't even know existed, and she hasn't run away screaming yet. Few people could keep their cool while being personally invaded by a harpy who hasn't yet learned the meaning of the term "personal space," and even fewer would have rushed in to help someone who they once though was their enemy. Though these characters have shown sides that I never expected, but I've been very glad to see them.

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment