Jun 13, 2012

Renee's Review of Reaper

Reaper

Why, hello Tod. It's good to see you again. I was almost afraid I'd have to wait until the next book to enjoy all of your wonderful sarcasm again. But no, it was not to be. The stars were aligned at the time and I had the good fortune of discovering this novella while it was still all nice and free. And boy was I glad that I did.

When I read through "Reaper" for the first time, I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped all the way to the floor. And then crashed down into the basement. Where it was shortly followed by my heart, and then my brain. You get the picture.

This one was a real eye opener. I had read it before I got through If I Die, and I am so glad that I did. Because I really didn't need any more emotional turmoil in that book. Everything fit in perfectly here, though. It's so seamlessly interlaced with dry humor and nearly painful sarcasm that you hardly even begin to understand the enormity of what just happened. That is, until you sit back for a little bit and this goes through your head: No. Wait. What just…? Did he just…? He couldn't have just…? No. He didn't. He couldn't have. What the %@#$ just happened?! And then that's all your brain can come up with for about an hour. Maybe two. Three tops.

You don't really mind being mentally incapacitated for a while, though. It is so beautifully written and completely hilarious that it's really all worth it in the end. We get a convenient little insight into the workings of the mysterious mind of Tod, come to understand why he is the way he is, get a few more reasons to hate Nash, and enjoy some little redheaded ninja action. Not bad for only a few pages.

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment