Jul 20, 2012

Reading Mind's Review of Before I Wake

Before I Wake

[Note: Reading Mind's review contains spoilers for BIW]


If I Die…what can be said about this absolutely great book? It just shines with its brilliance, the fast-paced plot, the unforgettable characters and the sarcastic and witty lines written by the magic pen of Rachel Vincent.

"So, Kaylee, how's your first day back going?"


"Fine." As long as 'fine' could be defined as the half-way point between horrible and unbearable.

I thought I couldn't possibly love this book more than If I Die. Turned out I was totally wrong. I was hooked from the very first word (actually, from the dedication of the book) and I couldn't put it down. Kaylee is at her best; she's finally more confident, stronger than ever, even if she still has to work on accepting the fact that she's dead. She has some problems adjusting to her new non-life, but I love the way she acts, I love what she says…she has grown so much from the beginning and she is become a gorgeous independent woman. I loved the plot and the twists, all the unexpected things that happened (Avari! Hellion walking on earth! NOT GOOD) and I was stunned by Kaylee's new ability. Waiting for the next book is going to be an agony.

There is not a thing I didn't like in this books: Nash, my previously not-so-likeable Hudson brother, has kind of redeemed himself at my eyes. I can see how he struggles to get on track again and how he tries to protect Kaylee and I do hope he'll get better. Sabine has been a nice discovery, too. She's nicer than usual and I love her attitude and her bad-assness. She's starting to be less selfish and girl is smart. Tod…oh, well, what can I say about the most gorgeous, caring, loving and all-around GREAT reaper in the world?

“You're not lost, Kaylee. You can't ever be lost, because I'll always know where you are. And if I'm not there with you, I'm on my way, and nothing standing between us ill be standing for very long.”

See what I mean? He's absolutely perfect but he manages not to be arrogant. Kaylee and Tod are just the perfect couple and they fit each other perfectly. They are dealing with some nasty problems but they work in team, together with Nash, Sabine and Emma, and they great. I especially liked Kaylee's father in this book; he's finally come to term with the fact that Kaylee is a woman, even if he thinks he lost her now that she's kind of dead. I loved their conversations and the way he treats Tod.

This is not really a review, it looks like me gushing about how great the book was. It. Was. AWESOME. Rachel Vincent has done it again, she wrote a compelling, fast-paced, well-written and unputdownable story, a rollercoaster of emotions that won't disappoint the fans. Now, PLEASE, give me the next book!

RATING: 5 stars…no, wait, 5 supernovas!

No comments:

Post a Comment